Monday, May 5, 2014

Starting a Science Club: Initial Plan

Our library recently started a group of "Science Clubs" that meet monthly, March - June.  

Our motivation to start these groups came in many parts:
  1.  Science is my specialty, so it's actually been on our list of possible programming ideas for quite some time.
  2. Everyone is a little STEM-happy right now.
  3. The science programs we've run in the past (one-time deals) have been some of our best attended.

I decided to offer three different clubs - each one meets once per month.

  • Preschool Science Club
  • K-5 Science Club
  • Young Engineers

The Preschool group will explore some basic science concepts: magnetism, colors, water, etc.

The K-5 group is a hypothesize and experiment group.  There will also be some hands-on demonstrations to learn more about the world around us. 

The Young Engineers group is aimed for ages 10 and up.  Yes, there's some overlap with the K-5 group, which is fine, and we don't get a whole lot of the "and up" attending our programs.  That group is centered around engineering challenges; things like using the provided supplies to create the boat that hold the most pennies or the tallest tower. 


Many of the ideas I use in the Science Clubs come from my past experiences in education.  I'll share the activities we do at the library on this blog, including how I set it up for these groups, but you can find LOTS more ideas on my Science Matters blog.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the 6" glass thermometers over the ones mounted on the thin metal. I found they are sturdier. Once the glass tube disconnects from the metal back it's hard to realign and hence, useless.

    ReplyDelete